COVID-19: THE GREATEST LOGISTICAL CHALLENGE THE WORLD HAS EVER FACED
With our global footprint, network of trusted suppliers and expertise in getting crucial health commodities to challenging destinations, we were uniquely placed to assist our clients with their COVID-19 response when the pandemic began. Over the last two years, Greenshields Cowie has supported major world donors, governments and NGOs in their COVID-19 emergency response activities, with operations including:
- Delivering 250 tons of PPE cargo, including swabs, test kits, and hand sanitizer
- Handling over 980 shipments, with 24 still in progress
- Loading 1,300,000 hygiene products on trucks destined for Syria
- Transporting over 5 million vaccines to countries around the world
As the world moved into the vaccine delivery stage of response, we once again stepped up to support governments and donors. Greenshields Cowie, as the logistics arm of Crown Agents, was entrusted by the UK Government Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) to distribute their very first round of COVID-19 vaccines to the UK’s 14 Overseas Territories, many of which are located in the most remote and hard-to-reach regions of the world.
Despite an unprecedented supply chain environment and global transport disruptions, our experienced team was able to navigate the complex logistical challenges and safely deliver the vaccines without spoilage or delay. In November 2021 we were awarded a Supply Chain Excellence Award for this work.
We were subsequently appointed by the FCDO to deliver 4.8 million vaccine doses to 17 countries, helping them to tackle soaring COVID-19 rates and protect the most vulnerable from the virus. In an effort to support global vaccination efforts and reduce global vaccine inequality, the Government distributed the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine to Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Cambodia, Guyana, Indonesia, Jamaica, Kenya, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Thailand, Vietnam, Kenya, Dominica, Grenada and Nepal. Undoubtedly our greatest trial to date, our team worked around the clock to get these vaccine doses over a total of 85,500 miles in just eight days!
We are now proud to have supported the UK Government to deliver vaccines to every continent on earth, even delivering jabs to Antarctica to reach the isolated British Antarctic Survey team.
Our COVID-19 Logistics Offering:
- Customs clearance (origin and destination)
- Documentation Management
- International logistics solutions
- Transporting essential equipment and supplies e.g., testing kits, personal protective wear, disinfectant, thermometers, laboratory equipment and respirators to final destinations
- Export packing and consolidation
- Special handling of goods (temperature controlled and dangerous goods)
- GDP-compliant transportation processes in the movement of pharmaceuticals
- Inspecting and providing quality assurance on goods and supplies
- Continuous reporting using cloud-based technology
Our experts can provide you with a detailed outline of how we can support your unique needs during the pandemic. If you would like to discuss procurement and supply of the COVID-19 vaccine, please contact our team: